How to Remove Screen Printing From a Shirt
Screen-printing is one way of making your shirt look beautiful, and it is the best way brand companies use on clothing to sell most cost-effectively. The fact that you seek to know how to screen-print your shirt should also prompt you to know how to remove the screen-printing when you notice a mistake or design error.
Correcting design errors will help reduce or avoid the cost you are likely to incur during mass production. Coming up with a perfect print is not as easy because it takes a lot of practice even for the experienced designers.
This guide will take you through the entire process by examining all the steps you need to remove a screen print from your shirt.
The moment you realize that there is a mistake rinse the shirt in cold water as soon as possible. The immersion will remove any fresh ink on the shirt. Ensure that you are using cold and warm water. Using warm water will set the ink firmly onto the fabric.
When you are done rinsing, ensure that the fresh ink is completely gone, and rinse the shirt in warm water.
Upon satisfaction that the ink is completely removed through rinsing, let the shirt be dry completely. You may notice some ink spread on your shirt
Place the paper bag on the shirt; ensure that the shiny part is lying on top of areas with ink.
Using an iron box that does not use steam, heat the part of the shirt covered by the paper bag. The heat coming from the iron box will drive ink into the paper bag.
Repeat the processes in steps 4 and 5 above until all the ink is gone or no more can be removed.
Add some sugar by gently rubbing on the parts of the shirt with ink. Please note that this is a gentle process any violent action will damage the fabric.
Also read: Sewing and Serger Machine -In a Details!
Qualities of a Good Screen-Printing Ink
As a well-informed screen printer, you must have a keen eye on the type of chemicals that are economically viable in the industry and also delivers high quality, safe for use at home or outdoors, and offer effective results.
The opacity of the Ink
When using white ink on dark shirts, use one coat with high opacity. If you have a smooth fabric, use two coats. Make use of colored inks with high opacity and brightness
Consistency determines how much ink will be transferred to the fabric and gives an idea of how it would flow when using the squeegee. Avoid using gummy or sticky ink because they tend to pull the shirt upwards as the screen moves in the opposite direction
Good ink is that with a high heat resistant and should have the ability to retain color even when burning.
Ink should not be too thick or too thin, something between 150,000 cps and 500,000 cps. However, the viscosity should not limit you from using heavy or thinner ink for a particular purpose. If you have a printer that implements reducers, use it to reduce the viscosity of the ink.
Following all these simple steps means that you no longer see any trace of screen-printing. Now you can comfortably say how easy that was.
Here are some valuable tips and warnings that you should be aware of when removing screen-printings
- Images printed on the shirt by ironing (Heat setting) make them stick, however consistent washing will help fade the images.
- You can use acetone to get rid of screen-printing ink even after the heat setting process
- A high-pressure gun with the help of spotting fluid also helps in removing the screen-printing from your shirt.
- The best time to remove screen-printing is when it is still fresh because working on an old print may prove to be extremely difficult.
- The moment you decide to use chemicals like in the case of spotting fluid make sure that you are in an open area or a properly ventilated area. Working in an open area protects you from the chemical components coming from such substances
- Always wear your gloves when using chemicals to remove printing. Remember that some of these chemicals can easily damage your skin through exposure.
- Avoid using a hot iron directly on the print, as it will only set it firmly into the fabric.
Another content of us: How much does Screen Printing Cost
You may have realized that going by the processes we have gone through above; removing the screen-printing design from a shirt is not something that should worry you. All you have to do is to make sure you operate in a well-ventilated room, and you can carry out the activity safely and in a safe environment.
Feel free to share your thoughts by leaving a comment on other tricks that you have been using.